knight crystal
Ralph Mowery
2019-03-10 20:32:35 UTC
Looking for any info on what I think is a 100 KC crystal can by Knight.

I have a sealed can about 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches high with an
octicl plug on the bottom. Only markings on the top is
JK
100 KC
ser 2948
H-22
Scott Dorsey
2019-03-11 01:59:59 UTC
Post by Ralph Mowery
Looking for any info on what I think is a 100 KC crystal can by Knight.
I have a sealed can about 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches high with an
octicl plug on the bottom. Only markings on the top is
JK
100 KC
ser 2948
H-22
Two pins are connected to the crystal, likely 1 and 8 but maybe not.
Two pins are connected to the heater, if there is one.

Use the ohmmeter to find the two pins connected to the heater. Once
you have found those, use the capacitance tester to find the other two
pins that are different from the others, and there you will have likely
found the crystal.

To be sure, connect your signal generator to a scope input with the crystal
in series. Sweep back and forth and no signal should appear on the scope
until you hit 100kc and then you should see the impedance of the crystal
drop way down. You may also find higher resonances, but you should see a
big and useful one at 100kc if the crystal is intact and working right.

Different manufacturers use different pinouts for their ovens... you cannot
plug a GE oven into a Collins radio even though they are both octal and
otherwise identical inside. Shameful.
--scott